Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Anxiously Engaged!

I have a lot to tell everyone so I'll start from the beginning.

In April of 2007 I started dating a guy named Parker. He was awesome. We graduated, I went to college, and he prepared for a mission.

Fast forward to December of 2010.

I was preparing to go teach English in St. Petersburg (that's in Russia) for spring semester. I was scheduled to leave January 25th so I decided to spend my last month at home with family, friends, and (of course) Parker. I moved home December 16th and he said he wanted to take me on a date.

We were planning to get engaged when I got home from Russia, get married in the summer (yes, it would have been a quick engagement) and both go to Utah State in the fall.

Back to the date. We were going to go to Temple Square, get something to eat, and go our separate ways; but, things never turn out as you might think.

He was late picking me up because his uncle's car had broken down and he also needed to go to Salt Lake so Parker came to get me in his dad's nice car (that's important to the story later) with his uncle in the backseat. We had a great time just chatting until we got to Parker's aunts house to drop off his uncle. Liz is awesome, so we went in to say hi. Upon leaving, Liz told us that Temple Square was probably closed at this time of night (it was around ten). She was right.

So, we picked up a hot and ready pizza at Little Caesar's and ate while we drove home. He asked if I wanted to watch a movie at his house, I said yes. When we got to his house he got out and he stood in front of his garage. I got out and threw the box away.
He said, "Come here, I want to hug you."
I said okay and hugged him, kissed him, and started walking away to go inside.
"Come back! I wasn't done hugging you yet!"
"Okay," I said as I turned around and went back to him.
"You make me so happy."
I smiled at him. "Good. That's all I want is to make you happy."
He smiled as he released me and said, "I know this isn't how you expected it, but I don't want to wait anymore."
He got on one knee and opened a Kay Jewelers box with a simple, white gold, band inside.
I stood there shocked for probably two full minutes. This was the last thing I expected. I thought I had at least seven more months!

My mind ran a mile a minute, though not really getting anywhere. I knew I was supposed to say something but I couldn't think of any words! Finally I said, "Of course!" and threw myself into his arms again as he stood up, smiling.

We hugged for a minute, I got a little choked up, and then he said, "Let's go tell people!"

Turns out that a few weeks before this, Parker's dad had told him, "When you propose, you can use my car". So when Parker asked for the keys his dad said, "So it's tonight, huh?" :)

We planned to get married July 30th and even had the temple scheduled. Then we crunched some numbers and realized that we could not afford for me to go to Russia. It was one of the hardest decisions I ever made because I'd been looking forward to it for so long. However, I realized that my family (Parker and I) was more important to me then Russia, so if what I needed to do was not go, I would do what I had to. I haven't looked back. I have no regrets on not going.

We're now getting married April 16th in the Draper temple and I've never been so happy, excited, or felt more safe and loved than I have for the past two months.

I have been truly blessed with an amazing fiancee, a good family, and a fantastic future family of in-laws.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us!

2 comments:

  1. so happy alaura! I'm so excited for you and parker and the eternity you'll spend together. Cant wait to hear more about you and him and all of your adventures together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile!! You told me about it but I never got details like this. I'm so excited for your wedding! I just feel bad I won't be able to go inside the temple with you guys, but it'll be okay. hahah, you'll be able to come with me when I get married!! (Which is a while away but you never know!) it'll be so much fun. I'm so happy you remembered me and wanted me to be a braids maid, it made me so happy, and I'm so very, very happy for you :D

    ReplyDelete